Nigel Cole knows 44 things about making a film, including:
Check it out.
- If you cast the wrong actor there is very little you can do. If you can’t find the right actor rewrite the part for an actor you love.
- Shooting a film is all about compromise. Knowing where you can’t compromise is what makes you different from other directors.
- Never ask the actors to improvise sex scenes. It’s very embarrassing for them. You need to tell them what to do. Move by move.
- Never have a character talk to themselves. Always looks fake. Find an action that reveals the character’s thought process.
- Some actors get better the more takes they have and some get worse. When planning coverage shoot the ones that get worse first. (I would add that some actors think they are better on the first take, but they really aren't.)
- You are going to hate the poster. But there’s nothing you can do about it.